Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Sunday, September 24

Caught Sleeping

Dogs escape disaster 14-13

My patience and my body couldn't take the late night bumbling antics of the Bulldogs, so I went to bed down 10-0. I was sure if I stayed up, I would just be losing sleep, unlike Georgia who was sleep walking through the first half. A 4am internet check, brought victory and sweet dreams straight on until morning.

The GOOD:
We didn't lose.
Joe Cox managed to spark the offense and led a 14 point comeback victory. Martez Milner lived up to his potential and caught the winning TD pass, but more importantly, he caught EVERY pass thrown to him- something that has been rare. Dale Dixson blocked what turned out to be a a critical FG in the first quarter.

The BAD:
Just about everything else.
The Defense was horrible through the first half as Colorado marched up and down the field at will. They surrendered 173 yards which was more than they had given up in the 3 previous games COMBINED! The made Benard Jackson look like Michael Vick (the good Vick), with 15 carries for 85 yards and a TD for the game and he was 11 of15 in passing in the first half before the Dogs held him to 3 of 12 in the second half.
The Offense was worse than usual. I seriously question if this team has any receivers on it; we have route runners, but we certainly don't have players who make catching the ball part of their regular responsibilities. Stafford was the victim of about 4 drops. After seeing how ineffective the passing game was, I would have been apt to say forget it, let's use the wishbone and run every play, but...
The Offensive Line was so bad, we couldn't even run the ball either. We only gained 58 yards on the ground for a 2.2 yard average. Thomas Brown continued to be ineffective and Ware who has been very good all year reverted to his old bad habit of putting the ball on the ground.
The Coaching was poor also. We overcame risky 4th down calls and a general lack of preparedness to win this game, but here was a telling quote I found from the AJC:
"What chink in the defense had Jackson and Colorado coaches seen in preparing for Georgia?
'They didn't have anyone in the flats all day,' Jackson said. 'We'd studied them and we knew we could control the flats with those short passes.'"
Seriously, how do we let this happen.

The UGLY:
I said it before and I still think it is true: if we don't have one QB who can win games for us, we are in a heap of trouble. This QB shuffle will onlly work so long before it bites us big time. Stafford and Cox have answered the call to give us wins, but without good, consistent play, we will not beat anyone of any calibre.

I don't know if we read too many article about how good we were and how we just had to put on read jersey and we would pitch a 3rd shutout, or what, but we are blessed to come out of that game with a win.
The wake up call has been issued. What comes next?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerod said...

Well I know that you don't really care to read my top 25 so I made a top 15. I must say that I am not as good as you at doing this. Most of mine are just gut feelings.

1. Ohio State- Although they don't look so good when you watch them they still win.
2. West Virginia
3. Auburn- If you struggle with SC you go down.
4. Florida- they just look good.
5. Michigan- They keep winning and they'll be in the title game.
6. USC- partly sixth cause I hate them. And also because they struggled with Washington State.
7. Texas- Although they will drop next week. I leave them here cause they beat at hard St. Mary's school for girls...oh wait no that was Sam Houston State(Same, Same, but different).
8. Louisville- I like them. They play good ball.
9. LSU- I know it is a conference game but Mississippi State really isn't a monumental task.
10. Notre Dame- They played Purdue well.
11. Tennessee- Memphis, enough said.
12. Oregon(Officials not included)- I just hate putting them here.
13. Oklahoma- Had the week off. Ready for saxeT.
14. Georgia- I know that makes you mad but here is the rational. Colorado game won 14-13 didn't score until the 4th, Ole Miss game won 14-9 and didn't score until the 3rd. In my book top ten teams are better than this.
15. Clemson

2/10/06 5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home