Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Thursday, September 21

Ramblings from the Madman

Okay, so here are my games that matter and some other thoughts (that you might or MIGHT NOT agree with).

#6 Michigan vs. Wisconsin
The Wolverines are riding high after last week's butt kicking of ND, will they suffer the post-high crash against the Badgers?
Michigan has been great against the run, Wisconsin has been great at running the ball. Something's gotta give and this has important implications, to find out why, read on...

#9 UGA vs. Colorado
Okay, seeing how this is 3-0 vs. 0-3, it doesn't look that big, but I'm a Dog fan and I make the rules here. Everyone is hyping UGA's 2 shutouts and Colorado's crappy offense, saying this could be #3. I'd love to see it, but more important is UGA getting their offense on track before tougher SEC competition comes calling.

#21 Cal vs. #22 Arizona State
Honestly, the best thing about this game is that one of the teams will drop from the top 25. But I read this interesting stat on ESPN: "Since taking over the Arizona State program in 2001, Dirk Koetter is 0-10 in Pac-10 games played in the state of California (USC, UCLA, Cal and Stanford). " Frankly, I don't have a high opinion of either teams, but I really can't stand that ASU gets top 25 love every year for having a great offense (despite a horrible defense), but I think the stat above just proves that this team hasn't turned the corner that the media keeps thinking it has.

#1 Ohio State vs. #24 Penn State
I think the Nittany Lions take their second trip out of the top 25 after this game.

#17 Oklahoma vs. MTSU
Can the Sooners regain focus to pound MTSU like a top 25 team should?

#23 Nebraska vs. Troy
The boys from south Alabama have given FSU and Ga Tech all they could handle. Will they surprise a deflated Huskers team that is smarting from last week's game against USC?

#12 Notre Dame vs. Michigan State
The Spartans are 3-0 and the Irish are ticked off at losing to the another team from Michigan; I think the Irish will come out fighting, because a loss ends the season for the former media darlings.

Everyone likes to take about Troy Smith and Ted Ginn Jr., but I think the overlooked man at the Shoe is Antonio Pittman. He has 340 yards a game (113 per game) and 3 TDs and is averaging 6.7 yards/carry. Like so many other good teams, there is always someone lost in the shuffle and Pittman is the man for OSU. Why is this important?
Because I think Michigan can beat Ohio State later this year. This week we should find out if the Wolverine's run defense is legit (against Wisconsin).
The Buckeyes got torched by NIU earlier this year on the ground and Cinncy was able to pass on them, too. Michigan's Hart and Henne should be able to score on the Buckeyes, if they can shutdown Pittman, I think they can win. It's a lotta "if's", but isn't that what football is all about?

2 Comments:

Blogger Rick Boyne said...

what's your take on the whole "instant replay controversy" during the Oklahoma-Oregon game?

What say ye?

21/9/06 6:32 PM  
Blogger JasonC said...

Well, first there are a lot of parts to it. Second, I haven't see a real good video of either of the plays.
But from what I can tell, Oklahoma was the victim of 2 bad calls. In all likelihood, those calls did effect the outcome of the game. However, I agree with a sports writer that basically said, "there are more than 2 plays in a football game and OU still could have won despite the calls." Yes, you unfairly lost the onside kick, but the defense on the TD play before was non-existent. After the pass interference call, they left the WR wide open for the TD and you could have still won it with the FG.
I do think OU was done wrong, I still think they could have won the game despite it.

Not that I like agreeing with Tubby Bowden, but I do agree with Shannon on this point: you pass a rule to shorten games (which don't really need shortening anyway), but then you don't take the time to get the right calls, that is a fundamental error the NCAA is going to have to address (or not, since they stink anyway).

21/9/06 8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home