Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Sunday, May 7

Selling you loyaties... from both sides of the foul line

I recently read this article about a guy, Chad Carroll. Chad grew up being a loyal Kansas City Royals fan, but after 25 years he's calling it quits. Basically, he's tired of the Royals 100+ loss seasons, watching the young stars get traded away one after another (Damon, Dye, Beltran) and the front desk's mismanagement. So he put his an ad on eBay offering his loyalty. The highest bidder picks his new team. His buddies ended up with the highest bid and now a poker game this summer will determine who he roots for (you can also help decide). You can read more about all this by clicking here.
However, Chad Carroll isn't the only person I recently have heard that is selling his loyalty... Rogers Clemens is also getting in on the action. But he ain't doin it on eBay and he'll probably end up with more than $300 dollars for his loyalty (if you can actually call it that in this case). "The Rocket" decided he really didn't want to pitch a full season this year- who can blame him? He's 40+ and the season is long. But Rocket has baseball under his skin. He's tried to give it up. He is very competitive. He wants to win. He wants to be the best. He wants... MONEY.
Oh, snap! Did I just say that?!
Yeah.
I did.
I read another article recently giving the odds on which suitor would end up locking arms with the Rocket. The writer says it's basically a 4 team race with 2 teams in the lead (Astros, Yankees, Redsox and Rangers). Each team can offer Roger special perks. The Yankees, Redsox and Rangers are likely to offer mountains of money (don't worry the Astros are paying him in food stamps). The Astros and Rangers offer more of a home town feel and location for the Texan. But what I found most interesting is that some of the teams- Houston and New York specifically- are likely to offer the freedom not to dress on off days and probably not even have to travel when he is not pitching. Excuse me?
Okay, Rocket can talk about it being about finishing a career strong, winning one more title and all the baseball blah, blah, blah, he wants, but when you are going to pitch 1/2 a season, not even be a part of the team on you "off" days and get $7 million dollars to do it... you aren't a ballplayer anymore- YOU ARE A MERCENARY!
I realize Rocket isn't the first guy to get a little greedy in MLB (or any sport), but I have a real problem with such situational loyalty. I read where Nolan Ryan was afforded some of the same freedom clauses that Clemens will be offered and was surprise. I do understand tenure and I do understand earning respect, but I also understand TEAM and this doesn't look like team, much less loyalty.

1 Comments:

Blogger JasonC said...

My mistake... it wouldn't be LSU, it would be Auburn. #1 USC played #3 OU and won CONVINCINGLY 55-19. #2 Auburn, who got overlooked for the title game beat VaTech 16-13. So Auburn could be the new 2004 National Champions.

8/5/06 12:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home