Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Thursday, September 28

Hater? Who me?

So apparently I've upset some people and have been accused of unfair bias against the Sooners (who do these people think I am? A Pac 10 official?). But rest assured, my bias is not only focused on Oklahoma (and to be honest, I am not against Oklahoma, I merely don't think they are a Top 5 team which I believe is what some people would like everyone to think they are. Peterson is an incredible RB- I wish he wore Silver Britches on Saturday instead of Crimson and White. I think Bob Stoops is very good coach and a great defensive coach. In fact, I think he is the reason- not Spurrier- that the dreaded Gator-nation won the title a few years back. And to be honest I think Paul Thompson has progressed nicely and helped erase any thoughts that OU needed a guy like Bomar around). But this isn't about OU, so we'll move on...

As I was saying, I am a hater, but I share the wealth, so today we'll move south of the Red River and put the Lone Star State in our sites.
Please welcome Coach Fran to the target range.

You might know him as Coach Dennis Franchione; leader of the Texas A&M Aggies. Let's talk about the good and then we'll dig under the rocks where the creepy crawlies live.

The Aggies- excuse me the 4-0 Aggies host the Red Raiders this weekend in what will be the most significant game in the Big 12 South (until next week). Wow! 4-0, some might say they are Texas' biggest obstacle to a trip to the Big 12 Championship Game. But let's look at that record:
First, they beat I-AA Citadel who usually hangs around the bottom of their conference.
Second, they beat Louisiana-Lafayette who usually isn't that good and whose only win is against a I-AA team.
Third, they slipped by Army who is 2-2, but traditionally stinks, so the verdict is still out.
Finally, they beat another team from Louisiana (Tech), whose only win is against a I-AA team.
So I think it is fair to say that this week's game is the first game that the Aggies will play against legitimate competition. We'll reserve praise for Coach Fran's efforts until after this game.

Before this season Coach Fran posted a 16-18 record with the Aggies:
2003: 4-8
2004: 7-4
2005: 5-6
If you like mediocrity, you have to love Coach Fran's results.
I guess if you look at it that A&M isn't still losing games 77-0 like they did in 2003, Coach Fran is making progress. I remember the 90's when A&M used to always have a great defense, they might not give up 77 points all year, but since Coach Fran has taken over the Aggies have held opponents under 20 points 7 times (Baylor (2), SMU, Wyoming, Clemson, Iowa St and Arkansas St).
What is even worse, is that the 3 years before A&M signed Coach Fran, the team had a 21-15 record, so unless they keep winning this year, they have actually gotten worse.

Likely, this is a team that will go 7-5 and go to a so-so bowl. Is that what Aggie fans want?
We'll if you wanted more, you can stick it! Because that is what you get for hiring a traitor like Coach Fran who bailed on Alabama after 2 season and left them in a bind. He talked about rebuilding tradition and praised the players for sticking with him through NCAA sanctions and then he turned tail and ran to a lesser program after building hopes with a 10-3 season (something he hasn't come close to at College Station).

Frankly, I hope Texas Tech whips A&M and the Mizzou, OU, Texas and Nebraska follow in suit.

I am not going to deny that Coach Fran hasn't been successful- his record suggests he has been- I just don't want him to be successful at A&M.

1 Comments:

Blogger JasonC said...

Much love and respect for Shannon!

You know, I think it's great that you are interested and very knowledgeable about sports (although sometimes you vast knowledge is a little bit creepy), but I found someone that topped you. I was having dinner with some friends and there was a girl from North Carolina (not Canada) who knew the names of 3 minor league hockey leagues. Umm... now that is just plain scary.
Seriously, much love and respect to you, Shannon.

29/9/06 2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home