Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Tuesday, October 17

It could be worse, I could be a Hurricane

As disappointed as I was in Georgia's performance against Vandy, it pales in comparison to what happened in Miami on Saturday and the past 2 days.

I think it goes without saying that what happened between FIU and Miami was horrible and ridiculous. But it's what has happened since that has really exposed a greater problem.

According to a AP article this is the fallout for each team:

MIAMI
- Anthony Reddick - Indefinitely suspended (for swinging his helmet at players and hit at least one)
- 12 other players were suspended for one game (with a possibility of more games)
- All 13 players will be forced to complete some community service.

FIU
- Marshall McDuffie Jr. and Chris Smith were both dismissed from the team (for attacking a Miami player)
- 16 other players were suspended for one game (at least)
- All 18 players will be required to "complete 10 hours of anger management counseling and 50 hours of community service, plus would be on athletic probation for the remainder of the year."
- All players and coaches will be required to do some community service.

Maybe I am reading into this, but FIU seems to have taken a stronger and more thorough stance on punishing the players and team. It seems evident (to me) that FIU is more concerned with getting it right:

"This is certainly embarrassing. It's disgraceful. It's amazing. I've run out of words," FIU coach Don Strock said. "There's no place for it in college football or football period. This is way overboard. I apologize to all the fans of college football for this taking place."

"This is something that's not going to be tolerated," FIU athletic director Pete Garcia said. "We've got to use this as an example to the young kids in South Florida and all over. They need to know that yes, football is very competitive. Our society is very competitive. But we've got to make sure that we teach the youth in South Florida what's acceptable behavior and what's not."

Meanwhile, Larry Coker is stressing that he has a strong grip on what happens at Miami and he is in control (which recent events would seem to contradict).

I think that the lure of winning at all costs is pretty pervasive at Miami (to be sure, it's that way at many schools). Maybe it's just that FIU hasn't tasted success like the 'Canes so it's easier for them to be harder on themselves.
What I do know is that this isn't the first time something like this has happened at Miami (so you would think they would be better at dealing with it by now), and commentator Lamar Thomas made that point all too clear in his ignorant comments.

The question is: do we want more Reddicks, McDuffies and Smiths in the game to bloom into more Owens and Haynesworths or do we want to see young men play with sportsmanship and bring honor to the game?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home