Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Friday, October 6

Football on Tuesday?! What the heck?!

Okay, I love college football as much as the next guy, but I really have a problem with games each day from Tuesday to Sunday- especially when I know it isn't about the game, it's about money.

However, you can't neglect the "school night" games (so much for worrying about academics), and with NC State beating FSU in a mild upset, we have to consider if that is a harbinger of things to come this weekend. So let's get to the games of interest, since there are a lot.

#15 Clemson @ Wake Forest
As good as Clemson has looked recently you would think this would be just another "W" for the Tigers, but "not so fast!" In recent years Clemson has gone 4-2 against the "lowly" Deacons and Wake won last year. Clemson's largest margin of victory has been 9 points over that span. Wake is 5-0 and looking for respect (a la Rutgers and Mizzou). Plus, Clemson has routinely found a way to botch up potentially great seasons with unexpected losses. Add in the loss of the Tigers best WR and you might see Deacons take over the helm atop the Atlantic Division for good.

Arkansas @ #2 Auburn
Honestly, Auburn should be too much for the Hogs, but as we saw last week with the Gamecocks, anything is possible (or almost possible). The winner takes over control of the SEC West. Auburn also needs the win to stay in the National Title hunt (and probably a solid win, at that).

Purdue @ #19 Iowa
Both teams got bested last week. Both teams need a win to get some respect back and avoid a tailspin.

Washington @ #3 USC
Washington has surprised everyone with a 4-1 start and a win over UCLA. USC has looked vulnerable and is facing some serious injury issues. I just don't know if the Huskies defense is strong enough to pull this one out on the road.

#9 LSU @ #5 Florida
This would be the biggest game of the week IF both teams were in the same division. Since they aren't it's probably the second biggest game, but huge nonetheless. If LSU loses, it's National Title and SEC Title hopes are pretty much gone. If Florida loses and UGA wins, they are on the outside looking in on the SEC East, not to mention any hopes of a National Title are gone also. The problem for Florida is even if they win, they have Auburn next week.

#7 Texas vs. #14 Oklahoma
My confidence in this game fades each week (if not daily). When I look at the Biggest Game of the Week, what do I really know?
1. Texas isn't the best team in the country (see Ohio State).
2. Texas can beat a bunch of I-AA teams and I-A losers.
3. Oklahoma has been improving each week.
4. Adrian Peterson is healthy and dominating.
I think it will be close... and that's all I should probably say.

#23 Mizzou @ Texas Tech
The Tigers want respect and to prove their record is legit. The Red Raiders faced an A&M team with the same goal last week... Tech prevailed. Mizzou needs the win to compete for the Big 12 North crown. Texas Tech needs the win to get back into the Top 25.

#13 Tennessee @ #10 Georgia
If UGA's offense isn't any better, I don't think the defense can bail them out of this game and it could get ugly. However, we do have God on our side and orange is still an ugly color. A Vols loss drops them out of the SEC East mix.

#11 Oregon @ #16 Cal
The winner becomes the top contender to dethrone USC.

Navy @ Air Force
The Middies are 4-1 and the Falcons are 2-1. In an option-filled-game, the winner takes the lead on the Armed Services race.

Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home