Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Wednesday, October 4

A Brief Break from Football

So I ran across an article about the Braves yesterday (click the post title to read it) and it talked about their future next year. Despite a disappointing and record-ending year (actually mainly just a really bad June), the Braves are excited about next year- praising their core players and probable starters. But then I got to this and about fell out of my chair:

"Among the reasons for optimism: -- The team re-signed Bob Wickman for 2007, so for a change Schuerholz won't have to shop for a closer in the offseason. Wickman, 37, will earn $6.5 million next season.
Wickman, acquired by the Braves from Cleveland on July 20, was successful on 18 of 19 save opportunities with a 1.04 ERA."


Okay, first things first- I have to admit I had no idea Wickman was so good as the Braves closer. He deserves some props for finally bringing some ability and positive results to what has been the Achilles Heel of this team for a long, long, long time.
Second, I admit, having a closer is a good thing and not having to shop for one is a good thing...
BUT!
$6.5 million?! There are starters that don't make that kind of money. Billy Wagner, one of the top closers in recent years gets paid about $8 million. I think $6.5 million is a bit steep.
"Why?" you ask.
He is 37 years old, tubby and recently missed an entire season for starters. Wickman left Cleveland and my fantasy team in a lurch in 2002 when he started to pitch crappy before being shut down for that season, all of 2003 and most of 2004. Do you really want to spend that kind of money on an old guy that could break down? Yes, I know that Wickman bounced back in 2005 with a career year and followed it up with another solid season this year, I'm just saying that with a tradition filled with Wohlers, Rocker, Lightenberg, Reitsma, Kolb and all the other losers that the Braves have named as their stopper, this looks like a great set up for disaster.
I hope I am wrong- I really do, but my gut (and Wickman's gut) tell me something different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home