Focus on Sports

World Wide Lens focuses on the world of Sports.

Monday, October 9

2 Stupid Things

I'm gonna vent a little here, so bear with me...

1. I heard people (I think Mark May) touting USC as the #2 team in the nation and he cited that USC whipped Arkansas (fact) who just dominated Auburn (fact). However, I don't think the comparison is that strong for 2 reasons: a) McFadden was playing injured and not at full speed for the Razorbacks. b) They started a different QB in each game. Granted Mustain played in both, but he wasn't the starter then and he has had time to get some more reps since then. While Arkansas relied much more on their 2 great RBs, Mustain did a great job of not blowing the game and keeping the ball moving- 7-10 for 87 & 1 TD. Teams get better over the year and coaches (or at least some coaches) make adjustments and change personnel- just ask Steve Spurrier and Selville Newton.

2. Apparently the media is a sore loser because they just don't want to look at reality when it comes to the Heisman. Pre-Season, All-Hype Posterboy Brady Quinn is still getting a lot of points for being a Notre Dame QB and not being the best QB. The media wants to ooh & ahh about his performance against Stanford:
27-37 (70%) 232 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

Those are some pretty good numbers, but this was Stanford. I was expecting something like:
27-37 310 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

I mean, Stanford sucks! They give up 455 yards a game. In fact, Notre Dame tied UCLA for the lowest amount of points scored against the Cardinal this season (31). I can't throw, but I remember a few intramural flag football players at UGA that could put up numbers that good against Stanford.
The facts are:
1. Brady has good numbers.
2. Brady plays in a pass happy offense which boosts his numbers.
3. Brady gets a lot of exposure and the media loves him and hates to be wrong.

Why aren't we talking more about these guys:
Chris Leak 64.7% 1395 14 5 163.1
E. Ainge 69% 1657 14 5 171.6
N. Longshore 65% 1410 17 5 169.8

...whose overall numbers and team records are equal to or better than Quinn's:
Brady Quinn 63.5% 1634 16 4 141.7

Oh, and it's time to give Garrett Wolfe the love he DESERVES.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home